On June 24, 1898 the F.E. Close and Co. Bean Elevator was destroyed by fire. The bucket brigade fought the fire for two hours saving the wheat elevator and depot. It cost approximately $100 to repair the wheat elevator and $10 to repair the depot. Then in 1909 both the elevator and depot burned but were rebuilt immediately.
On December 2, 1919 a fire broke out in the John Lynde harness shop from an over-heated stove destroying most of the east side of the main street and cracking the big plate glass windows in the buildings on the other side. High school students were dismissed to help the merchants save their possessions.
1919 Fire (East Side of Saginaw Street)
Easter Sunday, April 10, 1955 after a busy day with three grass fires, the whistle blew again about 3:30pm and bellowing black smoke was coming from behind the store on the west side of the street.
A warehouse belonging to the Tower Hardware and Electric shop was on fire from a trash fire burning unattended by renters in apartments above the store. It burned into Roy Ketchum's building and into the back of the hardware store and spread to some of the other stores but with the aid of Byron and five other fire departments they were able to save the buildings with an estimated damage of $20,000.
Lester and June Tower Examine Fire (1955)
In November 1968, the interior of the Masonic Temple was gutted by fire caused by fumes from tar which exploded. Recalling the 1955 fire that could have wiped out the entire business block, volunteers sent out an SOS call to neighboring towns. Bancroft, Vernon, Gaines and Durand responded to assist Byron with eleven pieces of equipment. The kitchen was destroyed and smoke and water damage to the lodge room, the clothing store below and the W.R.C. hall was estimated at
hall was estimated at $15,000.
On August 2, 1994 another major fire threatened the west side of the business block on Saginaw street. Fire gutted the Way Station restaurant and the Pizza Parlor next door. Two other adjacent buildings received smoke and water damage. The fire started from overheated grease in the restaurant at 7:30a.m.
Fire departments from Burns, Vernon, Argentine townships and the cities of Durand, Howell and Swartz Creek responded to assist and contain the blaze that threatened to engulf all the buildings in the block. Water was pumped from both the hydrants and the river and Howell's ladder truck was used to pour water on the roof. The water hydrant system was installed after the 1955 fire.